This is “THE” week. According to the AP rankings, Number one LSU will play Number Two Alabama. Of course that is not the way we see it. Boise still has the top spot here and deservedly so. However this should be a great matchup Saturday night in Tuscaloosa. The winner will have the upper hand in the BCS rankings and the loser still hanging on. It’s what College Football is all about. However for now, let’s examine this week’s College Football Top Twenty.
- Boise State (7-0) – The Broncos were off last week. Giving them two weeks to prepare for a road test at UNLV.
- LSU (8-0) – Nothing more needs to be said. The road will give the Tigers their biggest game in the past 4 years. With Alabama standing in the way.
- Alabama (8-0)—Both LSU and the Crimson Tide are 5-0 in the SEC. Both squads have a great defense and this could be a game for the ages. For a prediction…take Alabama by a field goal.
- Stanford (8-0) – It was the game Stanford needed, maybe not wanted. An OT in over USC which sent Trojans coach Lane Kiffin crying to the PAC-12 commissioner. This week the Cardinal travel to Oregon State.
- Oklahoma State (8-0) – The Pokes have the second biggest matchup of the weekend when they entertain Kansas State. Oklahoma State crushed Baylor, while the Wildcats want to get back to their winning ways.
- Oregon (7-1) – The Ducks hammered Washington State and keep climbing after their opening week loss. This week they try and up the streak with a win at Washington.
- Oklahoma (7-1) – The Sooners crushed Kansas State and moved up in the rankings. Now the schedule has them at home Saturday for a contest with Texas A & M.
- Nebraska (7-1) – The Huskers move up again into the Top Ten for man-handling Michigan State and holding them to only 3 points. This week the Huskers are again at home for Northwestern.
- Arkansas (7-1) – The Razorbacks have had two strait come from behind wins, last week squeaking out a victory over Vandy by three. This week is a huge game in the SEC as they host South Carolina.
- Houston (8-0) – How can you discard a team that scores 73 points in a single game, and their QB has a hand in nine TD’s? It’s Impossible. This weekend the unbeaten Cougars are on the road for a one win UAB squad.
- Penn State (8-1) – A 10-7 win in the snow over Illinois gave JoePa the record for most wins. Now they have a bye week to enjoy it before they put their unbeaten Big Ten record to the test.
- Kansas State (7-1) – So the Wildcats suffered their first loss Saturday to Oklahoma. They need to get their focus back for another huge encounter on the road at Oklahoma State. Time for Bill Snyder to work that Wildcat magic.
- South Carolina (7-1) – The bye week helped Steve Spurrier refocus his team to pull out a hard fought 14-3 win at Tennessee. Now it’s back on the road for Arkansas. This could be the game of the season for the Gamecocks.
- Clemson (8-1) – For the first time this year, Clemson lost a game. Georgia Tech pulling out the win by 14. Now the Tigers must get their swagger back. However that will take a week as Clemson has the bye.
- Michigan (7-1) – Brady Hoke has the Wolverines back in the hunt. One season at the job and Michigan is relevant again. This week Iowa entertains Michigan.
- Virginia Tech (8-1) – The Hokies struggled with a weak Duke team, winning only by 4. This week is the bye, which is good as they have a lot to work on.
- Arizona State (6-2) — Dennis Erickson’s crew are back in the Top Twenty with an easy win over Colorado. Now they travel to UCLA Saturday.
- Southern Miss (7-1) – Southern Miss enters the Top Twenty for the first time. They lead Conference USA and look to extend their record Saturday at East Carolina.
- Ohio State (5-3) – Should the Buckeyes be in the Top Twenty? Yes. They have turned their season around and are back in the hunt for the Big Ten Title. In 2 weeks it’s Penn State. This week they are home for lowly Indiana.
- Wisconsin (6-2) – The “Hail Mary” bit the Badgers again. This time it was the Buckeyes and Braxton Miller pulling the trick with 20 seconds left. Only their reputation has Wisconsin still in the Rankings this week. This week they go home for Purdue.
Dropping Out – Michigan State, Texas Tech
Close but No Cigar – Cincinnati, USC, Texas