This is another week for the NFL Top Ten, and is there any doubt who the number one team is? Conventional wisdom tells you one team, and only one team deserves the honor going into week 5. This is the week the byes begin. 6 teams have a bye but the rest of the teams are battling for a post season berth.
10. Washington Redskins (3-1) – The Skins enter the Top Ten for the first time. They are winning with hard hitting defense and a conservative offense led by Rex Grossman. Mike Shanahan is showing how a well coached team with a lack of talent can win in the NFL. This week they are off and getting a well deserved rest.
9. Buffalo Bills (3-1) – After two straight come from behind wins, the Bills suffered their first defeat of the season in Cincinnati. That loss drops them three spots. Another test emerges this week as Buffalo entertains the Dream Team””, Philadelphia.
8. San Diego Chargers (3-1) – Another newcomer into the Top Ten. The Chargers are off to their best start ever under coach Norv Turner. The special teams are improved and they are unbeaten at home. But the defense needs to shore up their play if a post season is in the offing. San Diego is on the road this week in Denver.
7. New York Giants (3-1) – Once again, a new team enters the Top Ten for the first time. Can the Giants stay there is another question. They could be the hardest team in the NFL to predict. They never seem to get into a groove. The Giants are at home this weekend for only the second time as they entertain Seattle.
6. Baltimore Ravens (3-1) – The Ravens could be the second most talented team in the league. The only weakness appears to be at offensive coordinator where Cam Cameron likes to pass too much. The running game and line is devastating. The Jets were no match. This Sunday the Ravens are on the Bye.
5. New Orleans Saints (3-1) – Jacksonville was no match. The Saints have to find their rhythm and show consistency. The defense is susceptible to the pass and that means trouble this week as Carolina and Cam Newton come to town.
4. Detroit Lions (4-0) – The Lions stay at number 4 and are still unscathed on the season. However they have had their scares. There appears to be no deficit they cannot overcome. Now the fans and media are pointing to a matchup on Thanksgiving between the Lions and Packers. But before that it’s Monday Night football at Ford Field against the Chicago Bears
3. New England Patriots (3-1) – Tom Brady was back to his old self as the Pats went to Oakland and won. This week is a Prime AFC East matchup as the Pats host the Jets.
2. Houston Texans (3-1) – The Texans stay at number two and keep on rolling. A big signature win over Pittsburgh last weekend. They are tied with Tennessee for first in the AFC South, but they are playing outstanding ball. This week they host Oakland and if they want to win, they need to stop the Raiders running game.
1. Green Bay Packers (4-0) – Still number one and still Unbeaten and untested. Nothing can stop them yet. However this week they face an obstacle when they travel to Atlanta for Sunday Night Football.